sarah swroot at copy.amitiel.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 14 16:45:54 EST 1999

Hybrid-T <hybrid_T at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Phil Jones wrote:
>
> > It is being put about by the media that genes from GM foods could
> > enter the human gene pool via the stomach, and so cause human
> > gene modification.
>
> I realize it's the MEDIA saying this, but does anyone on this thread
> believe this? How could genes enter the "human gene pool" through the
> *stomach*?? Any genetic material ingested is broken down into
> constituent nucleotides so that cells have a pool of free nucleotides to
> work with as they need.

I've just recycled my copies to the library, so can't quote chapter and
verse, but have a look in 'New Scientist' mid/end January for results of
research indicating genetic material is surviving in the gut long enough
that it could be absorbed.

Try www.newscientist.com/ns/19990130/newsstory1.html

--
Remove duplicate. to reply via email.