PLEASE HELP: with cuttings.

Sylvanian sylvanian13 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 00:08:10 EST 1999

Charles Lee schrieb:

> i would like to make some cutting of a large woody shrub bush. can you
> tell me how and what to use so they will root and survive???

Generally, you should pay attention to the following:
- Close to the lower end of the cutting there should be one or more buds.
Not too close, or they will rot.
- You might want to let the cutting dry for 1-2 days before planting to
reduce probability of infection (the wound closes and dries in this time)
- Use a light, relatively coarse/sandy substrate until roots have sprung.
Don't give too much water - until there are roots, the cutting's ability
to draw water is virtually nil.

Hardwood cuttings tend to take looooong 'til they spring roots. Softwood
will root more readily, but rots easier - keep them dryer and warmer. If
you want to do cuttings in winter, you might stick them in a pot of
slightly moist sand and store them aroug 5 centigrades until it gets
warmer. They won't root, but they will more readily if you store them and
plant them in spring than if you planted them inside during winter.

Just some tips,

Sylvanian