Determining if a root is dead

Bruce K. Kirchoff kirchoff at uncg.edu
Thu Feb 11 15:09:43 EST 1999

Does anyone know of a vital stain that would help me determine if a root
is dead? I have been asked to give my professional opinion (I am am
plant morphologist/anatomist) on whether a root mass growing (and
clogging) a sewer is dead. It was treated with a standard herbicide
about 6 months ago. Based on it's external appearance the roots appear
dead, but, as there is a considerable amount of money involved in this
project, I have been asked to give my professional opinion. Can anyone
help me? Does anyone know a definitive test for living tissue?

	Thanks.

	Bruce Kirchoff
	University of North Carolina at Greensboro, USA
	kirchoff at uncg.edu