Nomenclature

Spike Hernandez webmaster at vmirror.com
Wed Feb 10 17:23:42 EST 1999

Hello,

I'm working on a plant database and I'm trying to keep the
nomenclature as accurate as possible, but I'm having a hard time
deciding what's "authoritative."

For instance,  If I look in the PLANTS database at:
http://plants.usda.gov/plantproj/plants/

...The genus Allium is listed in the family Liliaceae.

If I look at the Families of Flowering Plants database at:
http://muse.bio.cornell.edu/delta/angio/

...Allium is in the family Alliaceae.

Both of these databases seem to be "current."

How does one resolve such inconsistencies?

Thanks!

Spike Hernandez

webmaster at vmirror.com