James Annan jdan at see.signature.for.address
Tue Feb 9 09:20:37 EST 1999

Nick Maclaren wrote:

> |> Here, economics is a powerful force.  Having to spray a second time can mean the
> |> difference between a profit and a loss for the year.  Overall, the farm prices
> |> (for non-subsidized crops) are too low for farmers to be able to indulge in
> |> excessive use of herbicides, if they want to stay in the farming business.
>
> Here, it is at least as powerful.  If they don't sell to the supermarkets,
> the go broke PDQ - and the supermarkets demand 'perfect' produce.  So
> they spray the hell out of crops with pesticides, often illegally.

Even for non-supermarket crops (eg most grain) the cost of a spray is
small compared to the potential loss from pests (of any type, I don't
think herbicides are the worst threat). So it makes sense for farmers
to spray even if it isn't profit-maximising. For that matter, most
farmers don't seem to be profit-maximising anyway, and neither are
non-farmers.

James
--
James Annan jdan(at)pol(dot)ac(dot)you-kay
Proudman Oceanographic Lab