Genetically modified crops - field size

sw swroot at copy.amitiel.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 9 16:15:18 EST 1999

A different question:
I grew up in western Canada, and have clear memories of the immense
grainfields laid geometrically across the prairies. From what
information I have, the US maize/soya/wheatfields are similar. The
'environmentally sensitive' areas/National Parks are also huge areas,in
theory large enough to be self-sustaining. This North American model is
about as different from the UK landscape as is possible - here, fields
are relatively small (anyone know the mean/modal size?). Most lowland
Nature Reserves are also small, and are often completely surrounded by
intensively farmed agricultural land. In fact, in many areas (such as
the parish in which I live) hedgerows, field margins and road verges are
the primary wildlife habitats. Does the panel think that wildlife living
in the lowland UK is thus more at risk from both chemical and genetic
contamination? Are outcrosses from the transgenic crops more likely
here?

--
Remove duplicate. to reply via email.