Wayne Parrott wparrott at uga.cc.uga.edu
Sun Feb 7 11:47:43 EST 1999

> Indeed. The argument is that if used according to best practice, they
> will reduce overall herbicide use - and it may be true. But there is no
> guarantee that they will be used according to best practice. There are a
> lot of people out there who are firm believers in the idea that if a
> little is good, then more (stronger or more frequent) is better.

Here, economics is a powerful force.  Having to spray a second time can mean the
difference between a profit and a loss for the year.  Overall, the farm prices
(for non-subsidized crops) are too low for farmers to be able to indulge in
excessive use of herbicides, if they want to stay in the farming business.