Wayne Parrott wparrott at uga.cc.uga.edu
Mon Feb 8 08:08:08 EST 1999

<deletia>

> I was pointing out that, although I may have
> potentially infringed on the original owner's (still debatable) IP rights, I
> wasn't getting something for nothing, since I had invested money, care and labour
> in growing the tomatoes.

IP protects new genetic combinations (traditional or otherwise) that are put together
intentionally by a breeder and would not exist otherwise.  The protection accorded
such varieties is analogous to copyrights.  As an example, think video tapes.  You can
go to the rental store and rent a video tape of the latest movie, but you cannot make
copies of the video and sell them..  I hope you would never argue that since you "had
invested money, care and labour in" copying the videotapes, that you had a right to
sell them.