Martin Tom Brown Martin at nezumi.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 02:39:43 EST 1999

On Sunday, in article <36BDB5EB.E807AFE9 at mr.net>
     dkendra at mr.net "David Kendra" wrote:

> Roger Whitehead wrote:
>
> > In article <36BCECC4.9A034CF3 at mr.net>, David Kendra wrote:

> him/herself without compensating the owners of the patents, then yes I think
> that is stealing as well.  My original comment which you snipped  "You invested
> only in growing the crop, not developing the variety.  The company you
> originally bought the seed from still owns the right to the genetics, not you.

But the contracts for growing some of the GM seeds also specifies that
you do not use or participate in trials of other manufacturers herbicides
on the GM crop. I believe there is a Monsanto vs Zeneca fight in progress
and reported on briefly in New Scientist a few weeks ago.

Whilst just about anything can be written into a contract some
of these clauses look like very restrictive practices intended
to hamper scientific progress and maintain a monopoly position.

> Selling the seed without compensating the company is stealing." still applies.

But the age old practice of farmers saving some of the crop seed
to plant next year is also outlawed by these rules.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown  <martin at nezumi.demon.co.uk>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/