David Kendra dkendra at mr.net
Sat Feb 6 20:30:45 EST 1999

Roger Whitehead wrote:

> In article <36BC503C.1297476B at mr.net>, David Kendra wrote:
> > You would not have invested anythng towards the development of
> > the variety so why should you benefit . .
>
> I will have grown the crop, so will have made an investment thereby.

You invested only in growing the crop, not developing the variety.  The
company you originally bought the seed from still owns the right to the
genetics, not you.  Selling the seed without compensating the company
is  stealing.

> > from illegially selling the seed?
>
> Is it, in fact, an illegal act in Canada?

I don't know if selling stolen seed is illegal in Canada, but I
personally believe it should be.

Best regards,
Dave Kendra