David Kendra dkendra at mr.net
Sat Feb 6 09:22:52 EST 1999

Roger Whitehead wrote:

> There seem to be two issues here:
>
> The first is this notion of plant breeders' rights. If I raise some tomatoes
> from seeds bought from, let's say, Suttons and then raise further generations
> from the seeds of those plants, would you say I'm stealing from Suttons?

If you sell the seeds from the tomatoes you grow, then yes I would say you are
stealing from company who invested resources to develop the tomatoe variety.  They
invested financial resources to develop the variety and should be compensated for
their investment.  You would not have invested anythng towards the development of
the variety so why should you benefit from illegially selling the seed?

> The other is the moral aspect of Monsanto's 'naming and shaming' behaviour
> (which was the main point of the original posting). I find this sort of thing
> repugnant, whoever practised by. To my mind, the shame attaches as much to the
> people who go in for this kind of pillorying as it does the alleged
> miscreants.

You are entitled to your opinion about Monsanto.  I dislike them as well, but for
other reasons.  How is Monsanto's actions amoral?

Best regards,
Dave Kendra