David Kendra dkendra at mr.net
Sat Feb 6 09:15:23 EST 1999

Gnome 11 wrote:

> Well I don't know much about birds, 'cept they have feathers, and they
> eat crops, sometimes live in fields, etc. I think that this may be
> relevant as the food base may well be altered by GM argiculture, so
> there will be fewer of those feathered things to watch.

And exactly how will GM crops reduce the bird population?  I suspect since
there will be plenty of wholesome grain available, their populations will
increase not decrease.  The geese here in Minnesota seem to be doing quite
well on Roundup soybeans!!!

> Present intensive agriculture is blamed for
> drop in number of some birds: presumably GM rops will continue this
> trend?

The key word in your phrase is "blamed".  I suspect that urban sprawl has
more of an impact on bird populations than agrichemicals and farming.

Best regards,
Dave Kendra