Roger Whitehead rgw at office-futures.com
Fri Feb 5 22:50:41 EST 1999

In article <918249227.16377.0.nnrp-07.9e986dd1 at news.demon.co.uk>, David
Bridges wrote:
> the issue you raise here is not really about genetic modification,
> it's about plant breeders rights.

There seem to be two issues here:

The first is this notion of plant breeders' rights. If I raise some tomatoes
from seeds bought from, let's say, Suttons and then raise further generations
from the seeds of those plants, would you say I'm stealing from Suttons?

The other is the moral aspect of Monsanto's 'naming and shaming' behaviour
(which was the main point of the original posting). I find this sort of thing
repugnant, whoever practised by. To my mind, the shame attaches as much to the
people who go in for this kind of pillorying as it does the alleged
miscreants.

> That's nonsense.

Of course it is. It was meant humourously.

On the other hand . . .

> I don't think that the National Trust are in the plant breeding business.

If they have nurseries, produce hybrids in them and then sell them in any of
their 200 shops, then it seems to me that they are very likely to be in that
business.

Roger

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
(Tel +44 (0)1883 713074; fax +44 (0)1883 716793)