David Bridges cdb at craigwell.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 16:06:23 EST 1999

Roger Whitehead wrote in message ...
>an extract from a newsletter I get:
>
>The WASHINGTON POST revealed this week that MONSANTO is hiring private
>detectives to take snippings off Canadian farmers to catch them using
>unlicensed copies of the company's GE crops. MONSANTO then reads out
>the names of these 'seed pirates' on local radio, and encourages other
>farmers to shop their neighbours using a FAST-like hotline. (FAST is
>the UK Federation against Software theft.)

I can understand the temptation to use any stick to beat Monsanto, but the
issue you raise here is not really about genetic modification, it's about
plant breeders rights.

>Just think, soon the National Trust will soon be able to sue for
intellectual
>property theft the legions of little old ladies who are "just taking a
little
>cutting, dear".

That's nonsense. If little old ladies take cuttings of plants owned by the
National Trust, it's theft. I don't think that the National Trust are in the
plant breeding business.

David Bridges