Alan Gould alan at agolincs.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 07:04:06 EST 1999

In article <7977k6$9td$2 at mendelevium.btinternet.com>, Terry Harper
<Terry.Harper at btinternet.com> writes
>I am lying on my back with my legs in the air!
>
>Could someone do genetic engineering on the grey squirrel. I am just off to
>shoo him away again.

Some very worrying developments emerged yesterday (04.02.99) about GMOs.
On Any Questions, Peter Haskins, (Lord Haskins, Govt. Minister, Northern
Foods et al) admitted to great embarrassment about the whole affair.

He insisted that consumers will have enough information to make a choice
about whether to buy food with GM material in it. He expressed great
concern about the effects which widespread growing of GM crops could
have on wild plants and animals, adjoining non GM growing areas, gardens
etc., but said that the Govt. was acting on scientific advice. He then
implied that political and legal pressures from USA are leaving Europe
with less and less options about buying GM food under existing world
trade agreements.
(I quote from memory, I believe and hope correctly)

A very good point was made about the relative risk from eating beef on
the bone, which is to continue to be banned in UK, compared to that from
growing and eating GM crops, which seem to be progressing whatever
anyone says. References were also made to the great benefits which could
accrue to Third World countries by feeding their hungry, presumably
under similar world trading agreements.

[multiple posting - and yes, it does concern birds and their watchers]
--
Alan Gould: <alan at agolincs.demon.co.uk>