Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 1 16:02:24 EST 1999

F1 is just short hand for "first filial generation", the result of any sexual
cross.  Cross two F1's and get the F2, etc.  Crossing an offspring back to one
of the parents is a "backcross."

Grafted plants (almost always) are not true hybrids--the stock retains all the
properties of the stock and the scion (what is grafted on) retains all its own
genetic properties, though it may be influenced by the stock with regard to
height, etc.  If I remember correctly, true mixing of scion and stock tissue
is very, very rare and is usually confined to the area right around the
graft--and even then it's probably more a case of mixed cell types and not
mixed genes.

Monique Reed
Bio Dept. Texas A&M