Mosquito Repelant plant.

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Nov 18 18:28:46 EST 1998

In article <monique.1638.1A2BB5BB at bio.tamu.edu>,
Monique Reed <monique at bio.tamu.edu> wrote:
>>Btw, if you just let the mosquitoes bite you, after a while your immune
>>system will give up reacting to the saliva of the local population, and
>>the bites won't swell and itch any more.
>
>Just how long does this take?  I spent two weeks in the Boundary Waters Canoe
>area and never ceased being an appetizer for the winged minions of evil...

Dunno how long, but 2 weeks likely isn't enough.  When I lived out in
the bush, I noticed that by midsummer (July?) I wasn't reacting much,
but if I went to visit some friends about 300 miles away, I reacted to
their mosquitoes.  Each spring, I'd have to get used to the new crop,
however...

Btw, they keep biting you, but the swelling/itching are minimal and very
short-lasting.  Next time, try eating lots of garlic - but you'll probably
have to get the whole group to do the same or you'll end up paddling your
own canoe!  :-)