Madrona trees

Scott McPhee hyphae at msn.com
Fri May 29 01:27:02 EST 1998

Let me guess, the branches and leaves are turning black? I have noticed this
also on most of the Madrones where I live in Northern California, and on
most madrones in south west Oregon. Now that I think about it a bit more, it
seems that most all of the madrone in mixed evergreen woods are infected to
some extent, while those in drier oak/madrone woodlands are for the most
part free of it.

Anyhow, I believe that it is caused by the canker fungus Botrysphaeria
dothidea. I remember from a tree health course I took a while back the
instructor said that it was more prevalent on drought stressed trees, which
seems odd to me considering my above observation. Maybe those in the
oak/madrone woodlands are used to drier conditions?

Well, hope the above gives you at least a lead, you might try contacting
someone at the Department of Forestry near you.

Scott Mcphee

Scott Mcphee