xorta?

m.lee mikaline at netcom.com
Sat May 23 15:31:03 EST 1998

Nancy Terryn (nater at gengenp.rug.ac.be) wrote:
| hi netfriends,

| it is a bit of a strange question but does anybody know a plant called
| "xorta"? It appears in a greek text, so it might be something from
| Greece? The text says it is a herb with a bitter taste.
| Anybody an idea?
|
| Nancy

my comtemporary dictionary says "vegetables" ... you might want to
trundle over to sci.classics if it is indeed a classical text ...

I think Stearn's BOTANICAL LATIN includes a list of Greek roots as well

and there's also

     Dictionary of Plant Names; Allen J. Coombes
     The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany ; Michael Allaby (Editor)
     Index of Garden Plants : The New Royal Horticultural Society Dictionary
	by Mark Griffiths

since Hortus Third is o.p.

ml