help me identify a plant

Harold Olivier orchids at acadiacom.net
Sun May 24 10:52:59 EST 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998 11:01:52 GMT, "steve patterson"
<stpatter at mci2000.com> wrote:

>A plant showed up a few years ago in some dirt brought in to the yard.  It
>is about 30 inches tall with a large stem, light green with lighter spots.
>The bloom is about 10 inches tall and the color of dried blood.  The bloom
>resembles the shape of a cana lily with an exagerated point, there is a
>stamin  about the diameter of the stem that sticks up out of the flower
>about 8 inches and is a little darker color than the flower itself. Also the
>flower has a cup at the bottom of the flower that emits a strong smell of
>rotten meat.
>If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

This sounds like an aroid, a plant in the family Araceae, possibly a
plant in the genus amorphophallus. As far as I know, the genus is
tropical, but some species are hardy down to 0F.

There is a site for the International Aroid Society at
http://www.mobot.org/IAS/
with photos and information, including links to email some of the
members. Most of them would likely be happy to try to identify your
plant, assuming I'm right in my guess as to your plant's family.

A page with links to other aroid pages is available at
http://ng.netgate.net/~kk/Araceae/index.html

Harold