Good Scientific Research Sites

ellen at spam.free.at.last ellen at spam.free.at.last
Sat May 23 21:20:45 EST 1998

I find your thoughts very interesting -- and very flattering to the
US. ;)

One other factor that may be relevant is the notion of 'classified
research' and its history in the US. Given our history of atom bombs
and napalm and other little contributions like that to world
civilization, most of our universities and some of our research
institutions that rely on public funding are very sensitive to what
exactly they're researching and have rules about what sorts of projects
can be carried out and do not permit classified research. Which means
that the proposals and the final reports must be publicly available.
Viewed in this light, it's no so much that the goal is to share the
fruits of research as to prevent the kind of research whose fruits
cannot be shared.