Japanese Maple Seeds

charles clopton cclopton at webtv.net
Fri May 22 03:20:17 EST 1998

I posted this on the gardening ng but got no response so maybe you guys
can help.

A friends Japanese Maple has set seed for the first time. I've never
seen this happen in the Los Angeles area before but with El Niño, all
bets are off.

I'd like to harvest the seeds and try to get them to  germinate. Does
anyone know when they should be ripe and is it necessary to give them
any special treatment (refridgeration?) before planting? I've gone
through the public library and have found nothing about this.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Charles Clopton