[Fwd: HELP about Houseplants' Origins]

E Charles Nelson tippitiwitchet at zetnet.co.uk
Thu May 21 02:22:45 EST 1998

The message <35632684.4DB1 at hol.fr>
  from  Jean-Charles <bourling at hol.fr> contains these words:

> I'm looking for informations about houseplants' origins!

> For example : where is Brassaia actinophylla grown? (I don't mean
> cultivated but what is its natural environment : rainforest, seasonal
> forest, savan...?)

The current name for Brassaia actinophylla is Shefflera actinophylla.
It is  native in north-eastern Australia and southern New Guinea. The
only way to obtain details of its natural habitats will be to consult
floras of Australia (including Queensland) [both these exist] or New
Guinea. Horticultural works such as the Royal Horticultural Society
distionary of gardening only give countries or regions of origin;
habitat details are rarely given in horticutural works.

Alternatively you will need to consult [taxonomic] monographs on the
genus, and these are listed in e.g. European Garden Flora.

--
Dr Charles Nelson
Tippitiwitchet Cottage, Hall Road, OUTWELL PE14 8PE, Wisbech, UK
e-mail tippitiwitchet at zetnet.co.uk