[Fwd: HELP about Houseplants' Origins]

Thomas Merchant tm37 at mindspring.com
Wed May 20 15:47:25 EST 1998

On Wed, 20 May 1998 20:52:52 +0200, Jean-Charles <bourling at hol.fr>
wrote:

>I'm looking for informations about houseplants' origins!
>
>For example : where is Brassaia actinophylla grown? (I don't mean
>cultivated but what is its natural environment : rainforest, seasonal
>forest, savan...?)
>
>If you know any database or book that lists thoses origins, please let
>me know !
>
>P.S. I Hope my english is good enough to be understood?!
One book, though not very good for the layman (and I don't know if it
is still in print) is _Manual of Cultivated Plants_ by L.H. Bailey,
Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc. 1924, 1949, and 1951

I could not find _Brassaia actinophylla_ in it, however (funny things
about scientific names: they are not supposed to change, but they do).
I could not even find a _Brassica actinophylla_ in it.

However, in regards to a previous question of yours, the above
reference gives the origin of _Ficus benjamina, L._  as India. This
narrows it down a little, but India is a very large country with many
diverse climates and habitats.

Hope this helps!