Good Scientific Research Sites

Jackie Potts jacqueline.potts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu May 14 06:44:56 EST 1998

Oz wrote:

> In article <slrn6lhugd.dcv.clarke at acheron.cilia.org>, Ed Clarke
> <clarke at acheron.cilia.org> writes
>
> >Don't be too hard on them; perhaps they must "show a profit" now.

The data held in the Electronic Rothamsted Archive (ERA) represent a
significant asset of the Institute and in the current highly competitive
funding regime in which the Institute has to operate, we are not in a
position to give the information away. We do carefully consider all
approaches for access to our data and are pleased to work with others
using our data. ERA holds data from experiments started as early as 1843
with detailed information running through to the present day. The
construction of ERA has itself been a costly exercise and is a long way
from being complete. It has required not only software development but
the gathering, transcription and validation of data from the original
notebooks and recording sheets.

> If you are smart you post obsolete stuff on your www site as an advert
> and sell the good stuff. Basically anything over 10 years old is
> obsolete and should be FOC providing acknowledgment is given if used.

It is true that specific results of experiments have already been
published in scientific journals together with summary data but there is
a significant quantity of unpublished data. While much of the data is
'old', it still has enormous value in that it provides high quality
consistent data over long time periods and as such has significant
potential for use in studies of long-term effects.

> Anyone wishing to do detailed work for publication is going to WANT to
> have full access and collaborate in some way with a member of staff
> anyway.
Fine!

Jackie Potts
IACR-Rothamsted