Good Scientific Research Sites

Jackie Potts jacqueline.potts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu May 14 11:16:54 EST 1998

Oz wrote:

> >It is true that specific results of experiments have already been
> >published in scientific journals together with summary data
>
> So why not publish it openly on your web site to provide publicity and
> to help those who might wish to consider your work. For example farmers,
> who are ostensibly the target for much of the work you do, have
> effectively no access to your published results.

Unfortunately, we can't publish the papers on our web site because when
a paper is published in a journal the copyright belongs to the journal
and not to us.

> But there is another group, probably long forgotten by the agricultural
> researcher, called 'the farmer'. He would probably quite like to see it
> too.

The farmer is not forgotten and we frequently work closely with real
live ones. We also have ARIA, which is an association devoted to passing
information on to the industry.

> I am afraid your protestations are simply invalid. I think the main
> reason is that you can't be bothered, unlike the US academic
> institutions.

We are bothered, but we have to be realistic. We are required to realise
our assets. Have you tried getting access to Ordnance Survey data, soil
survey data or even met. data from the Met. Office for free? They were
all publicly funded.

Jackie Potts
IACR-Rothamsted