Good Scientific Research Sites

Jerry D. Jones jdjones at alltel.net
Wed May 13 11:05:23 EST 1998

Jackie Potts wrote in message <35588730.61A4 at bbsrc.ac.uk>...
>The Electronic Rothamsted Archive (ERA) database holds many of IACR's
>long-term datasets and can be accessed from the web. Descriptions of the
>data are freely available on our web site (http://www.res.bbsrc.ac.uk)
>but to extract the actual data you need a username and password. You can
>request access from the web by filling in a form, stating which
>dataset(s) you wish to access and why. We do try to respond to these
>requests, but users are normally asked to collaborate with a member of
>IACR staff and to sign a formal agreement that restricts their use of
>the data to a specific research project. Data are expensive to collect
>and IACR's collections of long-term data represent a considerable
>investment of scientific expertise. Whilst IACR welcomes requests for
>data from external researchers, we therefore think it is reasonable that
>research should be carried out in partnership with us.
>
>Jackie Potts
>ERA Database Administrator
>IACR-Rothamsted, UK.

Jackie, et. al.,

Would you or someone explain if the data you have stored in your archive was
collected using private or public funds? If it was funded privately, I can
understand your position. However, if it was gathered using public
(government) money, this is probably the best example of of anti-progress I
have ever seen. Judging from the language and the URL, you are located in
the U.K. I would invite all readers to try the various departments of U.S.
universities to search for information. You will find almost everything
freely available without any "partnerships" or any other constraints.

Jerry Jones