Good Scientific Research Sites

Ed Clarke clarke at acheron.cilia.org
Tue May 12 20:40:29 EST 1998

On Tue, 12 May 1998 21:31:08 +0100, Oz <Oz at upthorpe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>investment of scientific expertise. Whilst IACR welcomes requests for
>>data from external researchers, we therefore think it is reasonable that
>>research should be carried out in partnership with us.
>What did I say? Here we have useful stuff (at least I presume it is
>useful) paid for at least in part by public funds, much of which HAS
>BEEN PUBLISHED ALREADY and you can't see it unless you 'collaborate'
>with a member of Rothamstead.

Don't be too hard on them; perhaps they must "show a profit" now.  That's
happened with our U.S. Patent Office.  Several companies put the data out
on the internet in awkward formats (IBM for one) but the patent office
itself won't do it because they get several millions of dollars a year
for the data ( and little or no operating funds otherwise ).