Good Scientific Research Sites

Jackie Potts jacqueline.potts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue May 12 12:30:24 EST 1998

> In article <+cE66KAlAdR1Ewy7 at upthorpe.demon.co.uk>, Oz wrote:
> > The results get published from time to time. I do find it absolutely
> > amazing that all the information (at least the historic ones) is not on
> > their website for free access. It sorta looks as if it is, but access is
> > blocked (at least it was last I looked).
> >
> > Attempts to gain access by emailing or writing result in no reply last
> > time I tried.

The Electronic Rothamsted Archive (ERA) database holds many of IACR's
long-term datasets and can be accessed from the web. Descriptions of the
data are freely available on our web site (http://www.res.bbsrc.ac.uk)
but to extract the actual data you need a username and password. You can
request access from the web by filling in a form, stating which
dataset(s) you wish to access and why. We do try to respond to these
requests, but users are normally asked to collaborate with a member of
IACR staff and to sign a formal agreement that restricts their use of
the data to a specific research project. Data are expensive to collect
and IACR's collections of long-term data represent a considerable
investment of scientific expertise. Whilst IACR welcomes requests for
data from external researchers, we therefore think it is reasonable that
research should be carried out in partnership with us.

Jackie Potts
ERA Database Administrator
IACR-Rothamsted, UK.