Good Scientific Research Sites

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat May 9 07:20:15 EST 1998

> ==========
> bionet/plants #6531, from Oz at upthorpe.demon.co.uk, 2033 chars, Tue  28
Apr 1998 06:29:21 +0
> ----------
> Article: 15480 of bionet.plants
> From: Oz <Oz at upthorpe.demon.co.uk>
> Newsgroups:
rec.gardens,sci.agriculture,bionet.plants,alt.agriculture.misc,alt.susta
inable.agriculture
> Subject: Re: Good Scientific Research Sites
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 06:29:21 +0100

> In article <893720515snz at spherica.demon.co.uk>, Matt
> <mrr at spherica.demon.co.uk> writes
> >>

> >Try looking up the name Henry Doubleday by search engine: there is a
> >research group by that name in Britain, who may have what you're
after.
> >I think they are into the science of organic growing.
>
> Try 'rothamstead', 'adas', 'maff'. Unfortunately UK govt organisations
> have been so starved of cash that it's all they can do to keep key
> research going. There's none left over for displaying it on the net.
>
> IIRC Rothamstead have a field that has been in continuous wheat for
> several decades. At one time parts of it were with and without
> fertiliser. The work is old, and occasionally gets republished, but
> still interesting.
>
> --
> Oz
When searching - the name is IACR Rothamsted. Not as given above. The
long term trials are still in existence - known as the Broadbalk Plots
and they have been in continuous wheat for over 150 years not just a few
decades.
Best wishes,
Peter Harris
Reading University Soil Science Dept.