do plants generate heat?

Walter V. Turner turner at mailgate.uni-wuppertal.de
Fri May 8 18:14:20 EST 1998

Nico Houter wrote:

> Well, some plants do generate heat. Voodoo Lily e.g.

> Also, some members of the Annonaceae and Araceae family do the same.

As a good starting place try Scientific American, March 1997, page 90,
for an article on heat production in Philodendron selloum (Araceae). The
author (Roger Seymour) cites other work, in particular a Scientific
American article on the voodoo lily in July 1966.

Most of the Dieffenbachia varieties I have seen produce flowers that
warm up and smell (stink) strongly the first or second night they are
open.