Venus Fly Trap

William Reeve museum at capescott.net
Wed May 6 02:09:53 EST 1998

Just for the record a correction is required.

David M.Roberts-Jones wrote:

> In article <01bd7234$40131460$66c32581 at jill-s-computer>, tealhonda at ibm.net
> (Jill) wrote:
>
> > Is North Carolina the only state in the U.S. where they grow wild?
> Yes
> The only place in the world!
>
> David Roberts-Jones
> Cheshire, UK

In fact the Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia purpurea L.) is widespread and not
restricted toNorth Carolina. It is found in its typical form in Canada from
Labrador and
Newfoundland west to the Mackenzie District of the Northwest Territories
and south into the USA to Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Indiana, Northern
Illinois,
and Minnesota. A slightly different form is found further south from Virginia
and
Tennessee to Florida and Louisiana. It grows in sphagnous bogs and peaty
barrens,
just the sort of places that people avoid, so is not as commonly observed as
might
otherwise be the case. It is the floral emblem of the province of
Newfoundland.
I might add that because of the different climate the habitat that this plant
needs
is much less widespread in the southern parts of its range and so it certainly
would
be a rarely seen plant in most of its range south of the Great Lakes.

Closely related to it are Sweet Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia rubra Walt.)
found from North Carolina to Florida  and Trumpets or Huntsman's Horn
(Sarracenia flava L) both found in the south-eastern USA. The latter species
can have leaves up to a metre long according to one of my old reference books,

though I have never observed either of the southern species myself.

Apart from personal observations in eastern Canada my information comes from
two old reference books, Manual of Cultivated Plants (L.H. Bailey) (1949) and
Gray's
Manual of Botany 8th edition (M.L. Fernald) (1950).