please help [2]

David M.Roberts-Jones davidrj**** at cix.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 17:54:44 EST 1998

luc.pycke at pophost.ping.beIn article <35BD1216.232A at pophost.ping.be>,
luc.pycke at pophost.ping.be (Luc Pycke) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, I managed to get a small picture on the web sooner than
> I thought, so please take a look at my mystery plant:
>
> http://www.ping.be/quercus/

Dear Luc

I have loked at you picture and iot has confirmed my opinion that you
probably collected Sideritis candicans or S.argosphacelus

These plants belong to the Labiatae (Lamiaceae) or Sage familly.
Sideritis are shrubs with 10 veins to the calyx, and a white or yellowish
corolla.

Bramwell & Bramwells descriptions:-

	S.candicans (Aiton). Tall, erect to spreading, much-branched shrub
upt to 80cm. Lower leaves very variable, lanceolate to narrowly ovate,
often cordate at the base, very densly white-woolly on both surfaces, the
margins crenate, upper leaves and bract linear-lanceolate. Inflorescence a
long, interrupted, erect spike, sometimes branching at the base. Corolla
pale yellow, somewhat pubescent, the lips light brown to orange-red.
local name = Chagorro
locations in Tenerife: Montane & pine forest zones, Vilaflor, Las Canadas,
La fortaleza, Ucanca valley, Montana de Diego Hernandez, locally very
common, Agua Mansa, frequent in pine woods, 1300-2100m

	S.argospacelus (Webb&Berth.)Clos. Small subshrub. Stem branched,
white-woolly. Leaves heart shaped, grey-canescent above, densly
white-felted beneath; margins crenate. Inflorescence a short, dense spike
with the lower whorls usually somewhat distant. Corolla yellowish with
brown lips. Spike sometimes nodding in fruit
local name = Chahorra
locations in Tenerife: N.coast from Oratava to Teno, locally frequent,
Barranco de Ruiz, El Fraile, Teno Bajo, Los Silos, 50-230m

	It is however impossible to be sure, as you don't mention the
actual location or flower colour if known. However I am convinced it is a
sideritis of some sort. I found a pink flowered plant with dense felting
in the Masca region, which I was unable to identify, Canary Is plants are
difficult for us amateurs to identify, as there is a lot of variation in
form, depending on altitude and wether in full sun or not.

	As to cultivation, don't be too optimistic, these mountain plants
have evolved in a region with a very dry atmosphere (the felt stops the
plant drying out in the sun & wind) and very high ultra-violet levels.
I would plant it in gritty compost, and grow it in a frost free position,
with as much light as possible.

Good luck with your baby, and I hope your Tajinaste seeds do well also!

re the book by Bramwell & Bramwell,
tell your librarian that the ISBN is 0 85950 010 1

David Roberts-Jones
Cheshire, UK