[Q] Do plants turn towards the Sun or away?

Christoph Metelmann chandvel at VIP.CYBERCITY.DK
Tue Jul 21 03:03:49 EST 1998

Your mail reader is not using the MIME attachment standard.
To read all of this message, use a MIME V1.0 compliant reader.

Some parts of this message may be in a human readable form.

--901040116=_Mail_2_=-940310487

Christoph Metelmann wrote:

> Plants grow better in darkness, so the shady side growes more then
the side in the sun. Result - plant growes towards the light.

+++++++++

Huh?!  "Plants grow better in darkness"..???  Why would they evolve to
grow toward
something that makes them not grow "as well"?  Where can I order some
of
these unique "darkness growing plants"?  The second part of your
statement about the shady side growing "more" is correct, but not for
the reason stated. Suggest more reading or
some clarification........

--901040116=_Mail_2_=-940310487

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:56:05 -0500
From: Eric Grunden <grunden at students.uiuc.edu>
To: "bionet.plants mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Q] Do plants turn towards the Sun or away?

Christoph Metelmann wrote:

> Plants grow better in darkness, so the shady side grows more
then the side in the sun. Result - plant grows towards the
light.

+++++++++

Huh?!  "Plants grow better in darkness"..???  Why would they
evolve to grow toward something that makes them not grow "as
well"?  Where can I order some of these unique "darkness
growing plants"?  The second part of your statement about the
shady side growing "more" is correct, but not for the reason
stated. Suggest more reading or some clarification........

Hi,

Mhhh - let's start with the clarification.

You agree with the second part of my statement that the shady
side of a plant grows more then the sunlit side.  The 'sha-
dier' the better, and is that not 'darkness'?  Is it not dark
at night?  Then should not plants grow at night?  To me an
unescapable consequence.

I saw some films on TV where they had compressed time and the
growing at night was clearly visible (Discovery channel? but I
am not sure.)

1967 in Utica NY at the Botanical Department of the University
of NY, Utica Campus Professor Kahn and I tried our hands on
simulating plant growth using an analog computer.  The major-
ity of the growth of a plant was put at night time - when
'daytime or sunlight' appeared the growth was reduced and
sugar-starch production increased.  Now why would he do this
wrong?

As a source book I use Biology of Plants, fifth edition, by
Peter H. Raven + Ray F. Evert + Susan E. Eichhorn (page 573).

Chris

P.S.  I gave a reason why this growing better in darkness then
in light happens?

CM=1A

--901040116=_Mail_2_=-940310487--