Bent Plant Stems

candle0 at ibm.net candle0 at ibm.net
Mon Jul 13 11:10:57 EST 1998

I have planted gladioluses in my backyard and they were growing nicely
until these two squirls started pouncing all over them. Because some of
the plants were bent over by the squirles the flower stems have bent
upward toward the sunlight. One of the plants that had been bent
horizontal has curved directly upwards. So naturally I wondered how the
plant "determines" where to bend its stem. Does anyone know?

Also why were the squirles digging at my plant bulbs and jumping on my
plants. Were they trying to eat the plants?