Gnat Problem on Ficus

Rob Freundlich robtoby at shore.net
Sat Jul 11 16:19:05 EST 1998

We recently purchased 2 indoor ficus trees.  They are both on the small side,
and are doing remarkably well.  The only problem is that they both have what
has been described to me as "fungus gnats".

I've been told to dry them out as much as possible between waterings to try
and get rid of the pests.  Also, 2 TBS bleach to a gallon of water was also
suggested.  I've tried both, but can't seem to get rid of them.  No harm
appears to be done, except they are pesky and get into other rooms.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions with these critters??

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob Freundlich
robtoby at shore.net