Grass field guides

john doe nobody at nowhere.com
Tue Jul 7 20:57:58 EST 1998

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:29:44 GMT, kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca wrote:

>I'm in search of a good identification handbook for the grasses of
>s/c Ontario. And while I'm asking about ID books, I might as well also add that
>I'd love any leads on good *detailed* (ie: not Newcombe's or Audubon) guides
>to Asteracea, specifically for Asters and Goldenrods (Solidago).
>
>Any help would be much appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kellie
You may wish to check out the following:

Gleason, Henry A. and Arthur Cronquist. MANUAL OF VASCULAR
PLANTS OF NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES  AND ADJACENT
CANADA, Second Edition, New York Botanical Garden, 1991, pp. 910.
This is a revision of the first edition published in 1963. It contains
keys and plant descriptions but no illustrations.

And, just released:

Holmgren, Noel H and Collaborators, Editors. ILLUSTRATED
COMPANION TO GLEASON AND CRONQUIST'S MANUAL,
New York Botanical Garden, 1998, 827 plates of illustrations.
Years in the making, this  book is based on the original artwork
of the NEW BRITTON AND BROWN ILLUSTRATED FLORA
OF THE NORTHEASTERN UNITED STATES AND ADJACENT
CANADA, the 1952 Edition. This is more than a reprint. It  has been
completely restructured and richly enhanced to include new
illustrations of several  species not treated in th e earlier work as
well as many useful diagnostic details not included in the earlier
plates. It contains 827 plates of meticulously rendered botanical
illustrations which are specially arranged and labeled to
cross-reference with the second edition of Gleason and Cronquist's
MANUAL OF VASCULAR PLANTS OF NORTHEASTERN UNITED
STATES AND ADJACENT CANADA.

Unfortunately, the pair will set you back about $200US, and requires a
good understanding of plant anatomy terminology. These two books may
be a bit overkill, but if you are serious about grasses and
composites, you may as well dig in for the worst. P.S.: Also invest in
a good stereoscope/dissecting microscope.