stomata guard cells - no anthocyans?

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 09:35:41 EST 1998

Friedemann Greulich wrote:

> [...]
> guard cells. As a microbiologist I remember only weakly that I heard in
> a botany lecture years ago something about stomata and anthocyans.
> However, digging all available botony books and data bases I found no
> such comment.

Hello, Friedemann.

I've not heard about that, but the involvement of flavonoids in the
'blue light' response of stomata was suggested some time ago ... Maybe
you're thinking about that?

Actually epidermal cell vacuoles are _full_ of all sorts of nasty
phenolic compounds and it has been suggested that, amongst other things,
they help to protect the photosynthetic tissue from UV light.

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB2 9SB, Scotland, UK.     |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687