Can anyone identify this plant?

Dave Curran djcurran at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 07:46:17 EST 1998

Hello Micheal

The plant in your photo is almost certainly Great Mullein Verbascum
thapsus. This is a biennial, usually flowering from June to August in
Europe where it is quite widespread in open scrub and dry bare places.

I am secretary/Vice chairman of a local nature reserve in Co.Durham
(N.E.England) and we had the same type of occurrence on the reserve a
couple of years ago, when this plant suddenly appeared from nowhere (after
a number of years of keeping records) and has not been seen since.

We assumed that someone had probably seeded the reserve (deliberately or
accidentally we do not know), as we also found some Large flowering evening
primrose the same year under the same circumstances.

Dave

----------
> From: Micheál Glennon <dglennon at indigo.ie>
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Can anyone identify this plant?
> Date: 20 February 1998 18:50
>
> There's this weird six foot plant that has grown out of nowhere just
> outside my Uncle's house in the west of Ireland. I was wondering if
anyone
> here could identify it. I have put pictures up at
> http://indigo.ie/~dglennon/thing.html
> If you have any ideas what it might be, let me know.
>
> Micheal

Micheál Glennon <dglennon at indigo.ie> wrote in article
<01bd3e30$4c60b340$6f947dc2 at 194.125.133.10.indigo.ie>...