Amaryllis + ants

Vera Besse Vera_Besse at unet.univie.ac.at
Fri Feb 13 17:49:15 EST 1998

On 9 Feb 1998 17:52:13 GMT, "Thomas Wall" <lostboy at sprint.ca> wrote:

>	Hi... all!!!!
>
>two questions : (so hope there is not a quata of one :P))
>
>	I purchased an Amaryllis bulb before Christmas .... It has grown to a
>humungous size, but never bloomed.... any ideas, that do not involve
>putting the plant down..
I'm soory to tell you, that it wont bloom this year, if it hasn't started
yet.
Normally the buds grow out of the bulb before the leafs, so if there are
only leafs just let it grow over the summer and give some fertilizer to it
time to time. In summer stop watering it, and the leafs will die (when they
are dry, you can break them off  a few centimeters over the bulb) Take the
bulb out off the soil and store on a cool, dry, dark place. During winter
you can put the bulb in fresh soil, and it will hopefully bloom this time!

>	Ants.... I have some ants at my place it seems.... I would like them to
>leave!  I do not want to hurt my cats or plants in the proccess any ideas?

I heard that baking powder is a thing ants don't like, and it won't harm
your cats, so you might give it a try, before you take some nasty chemicals.
Pyrethrum is a "natural" insect killer, which means that it kills animals
with six or more legs, but won't harm animals with two or four legs. There
are rumors, that it is affecting humans as well, but I would give this one a
try before you really go to synthetical poisons.
>	Email me or to the group.... if you can help .. thanks..
 You're welcome, good luck with amaryllis hunting and ant breeding :-)
Vera