C4 plants?

Kitty kcheng at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 13 16:31:03 EST 1998

Oz wrote in message ...
>In article <34E48242.61A0 at students.uiuc.edu>, Eric Grunden
><grunden at students.uiuc.edu> writes
>>
>>Pineapple is not a C3 plant (however, it's not C4 either).
>
>OK, so what is it's photosynthetic pathway, I am intrigued? I only ever
>heard of C3 & C4, and after a casual aquaintance out of interest 30
>years ago, I don't remember either any more.
>
>--
>Oz

If pineapples are not C3 nor C4 plants . . . are they CAM plants?  It has to
be one of the three I think.  CAM plants can temporarily separate their
reactions.  They fix their carbon dioxide into malic acid at night.  Then
during the day, the carbon dioxide is released from the malic acid and then
fixed via the normal C3 route.