C4 plants?

Tracy Aquilla taquilla at SPAMOFF.erols.com
Fri Feb 13 11:52:11 EST 1998

In Article <01bd3811$02589080$6d1ca7c3 at saitanis>, "SAITANIS"
<tsir at aurora.eexi.gr> wrote:
>Hi
>
>It is known that the most cultivated species are C3.
>The only C4 species i know are: maize, sugar-cane, sorgum and millet.
>Does anybody know other C4 species?

Most of the weeds!  ;-)  Many, but not all, species of Graminae, Cyperaceae,
Amaranthaceae, Portulaceae, Chenopodiaceae, Euphorbiaceae, Nyctoginaceae,
Aizoaceae, Compositae, and Zygophyllaceae are C-4 plants. But I cannot think
of any commonly cultivated C-4 species that you have not named, other than
perhaps amaranth (and crabgrass!).
Tracy