Normalizing Northerns

Andreas Vogel vogela at uni-muenster.de
Wed Feb 11 06:27:50 EST 1998

Hi everyone,

I am going to study gene expression of an enzyme from red kidney bean
(Phaseolus vulgaris) by Northern Blots. By checking the literature I couldnt
find any Blot which was normalized to an internal standard (ribosomal RNA,
GAPDH,...). Since I am not a botany I dont know whether it is difficult to find
a constitutive expressed gene in plants or all the researchers normalize on
total RNA amount because there is few sequence information available?
In our group we cloned alpha tubulin from Phaseolus vulgaris. Does anyone know
if it is suitable to normalize Northerns?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas