Infared Light--Does it grow plants?

Jonathan B. Marder marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Mon Apr 13 03:38:22 EST 1998

Jeffrey Kirby wrote in message <6gcitt$crf$1 at mark.ucdavis.edu>...
>Ross Koning (koning at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU) wrote:
>: The Krebs Cycle does not respond to light...neither
>: does the Calvin Cycle.  The light reactions, which
>
>We really must stop calling them the light reactions since that implies
>that the Calvin cycle contains the dark reactions. ...

Actually I have more problems with the term "light reactions" to
represent
all the reactions involved in ATP and NADPH synthesis. The only true
light
reactions are the photochemical ones. All the others are dark
reactions - with
no direct light requirement at all.

BTW. In answer to the original question - infra-red radiation does not
drive the
photosynthetic reactions (and certainly not the Krebs cycle ...).

Jonathan B. Marder   <MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il>
Department of Agricultural Botany, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Faculty of Agriculture, P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL
Phone: +972 8 9481918   Fax:   +972 8 9467763
Web page:    http://www.agri.huji.ac.il/~marder