Milkweed seeds needed

FaganJohns faganjohns at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 23:49:28 EST 1997

On Oct. 26, 97 dharvey wrote:

>If anyone could please tell me where I could find these seeds.
>I am willing to pay a few bucks for some seeds.  I really need them.
>If you have any info could you please drop me a email.

Since this is a weed species, the best way is to harvest them yourself from the
 living plants in your area (they are easy to find in the early fall).
 Unfortunately, that time is past.  One place we obtained such seed was from
 large seed companies that grow crops for seeding next years crops.  They
 screen out all of the unwanted seeds from the desirable ones, and collect them
 for either disposal or experimentation.  The problem Here is that you would
 have to pick them out from all of the other seeds collected.

Another way would be to use a greenhouse to germinate just a few plants from
 seeds you can still gather from roadsides ect.  You can plant these seeds and
 see which ones germinate, and let the milkweed grow to produce a new crop of
 seed.  Milkweed is a prolific seeder, so only 3-5 plants would produce enough
 seed for most experiments.  Also in the greenhouse, milkweed tends to go to
 seed rather fast anyway  (don't know the exact amount of  time, but a many
 weeks before most food crops produce seed under similar conditions.  Good luck!

Fagan