acacia retinodes - will it restrict the growth of surrounding plants?

Chris Miller cactus at dircon.co.uk
Sat May 17 03:57:21 EST 1997

I live in London, UK and have two acacia retinodes planted in my garden -
both in their fourth year, about 15ft tall. I have a vague recollection
that acacias may inhibit the growth of nearby plants by releasing a
chemical into the soil. I am concerned since, while some plants nearby ie
within 3 to 4 feet of the acacias seem to be OK provided they have
sufficient moisture, others are not doing so well. In particular, a
trachycarpus fortunei and a miscanthus sinensis are both making very poor
growth.

Can anyone provide any information about whether my acacias could
chemically inhibit the growth of other plants. I am not concerned with
other possible inhibitors eg competition for moisture, nutrients.

Chris Miller