bradford pear tree - question about bores

M & V animaux at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 11 08:36:26 EST 1997

In <19970506204000.QAA27946 at ladder01.news.aol.com> bham48dave at aol.com
(Bham48Dave) writes:

>I have an apparently healthy bradford pear tree in my front yard that
has
>lots of bore holes in the trunk and up the tree.  I need to know what
>do about these. Will my tree die (it is about 25 feet tall)?  What
kind of
>treatment should I provide?
>
>Thanks for any help.

If you have borers, your tree is not healthy.  Unfortunately, the bad
news is if your bradford pear is 25 feet tall, it is at the age where
they start to decline.  I dont know where you live, but in Dallas area
these trees do not have a good lifespan.  They have a very weak crotch,
which eventually pulls away from the main trunk and will allow the
stress to attract borers or other diseases.  If you really want to save
the tree, get an licensed or registered arborist (not a landscaper who
trims trees) to look at the tree and assess its life.

Victoria