authorities on sphagnum in AL

Ken Spruell kspruell at wwisp.com
Sun May 11 10:28:56 EST 1997

I'm interested in a VERY GOOD field guide to Sphagnum sp. that might be
found in the state of Alabama. Can anyone reccomend some which have very
good descriptions and photos?  I'm interested mostly in reference type
material which would be used in legit research but any information
pertaining to the subject will be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone
in Al or surrounding areas are authorities on this Bryophyte and would
be willing to shed some insight on an unidentifiable species, I would
appreciate that also.  Finally, are there any botanical newsgroups which
may be of help in my endeavor.  Thanks!   Sean Sanders