Help in ID-ing plant? - weird leaf.jpg

Andrew Kantor ak at iw.com.xxx
Wed May 7 16:22:07 EST 1997

Bruce Sorrell <bsorrell at erols.com> wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>
>> I've had a certain houseplant for years, but never knew what it was;
>> none of the books I've seen can identify it, and everyone I've shown
>> it to -- including people at the local nursery -- has been stumped. <snip>
>
>Hi Andrew !
>
>Looks like a croton (Codiaeum) to me.  Click on the following unusual
>URL and it will take you to the Time Life encyclopedia entry on
>Codiaeum..complete with picture.  Let me know if I missed and I'll try
>again :)

Nope -- not it (but thanks!).

My leaves are definitely green (not a hint of red, really), and those
of the Codiaeum look reddish. Mind doesn't have terribly visible
veins; it's outstanding characteristic are the silver spots. (The
leaves, btw, are about 3 inches long and .5 - .75 inches wide. They're
thin, not fleshy, and the silver spots are flat as well.)

I believe it's flowered once in the past 20 years, but I'm not sure.
Certainly not in the last few.

Still hunting for an identification,
Andrew