Help in ID-ing plant? - weird leaf.jpg

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Wed May 7 17:23:02 EST 1997

In article <3370EBAE.5BB3 at erols.com>, bsorrell at erols.com wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>
> > I've had a certain houseplant for years, but never knew what it was;
> > none of the books I've seen can identify it, and everyone I've shown
> > it to -- including people at the local nursery -- has been stumped. <snip>
>
> Hi Andrew !
>
> Looks like a croton (Codiaeum) to me.  Click on the following unusual
> URL and it will take you to the Time Life encyclopedia entry on
> Codiaeum..complete with picture.  Let me know if I missed and I'll try
> again :)  Here's the URL:

I thought it was a Rex (giant) Begonia, especially because of the spots.
It looks like a Rex Begonia I have at home (also has very red underside of
leaves, typical looking begonia flowers, pink, when it blooms). My croton
has many more colors and the colors are more like streaks than spots.

My 2 electrons

Brian